Sunday, June 29, 2008

Let's Go Fly a Kite meets Let's Go to the E.R.


On Saturday May 17 we were about to go fly a kite and Jared, having just learned how to unbolt our front door, opened the door and Alex raced out so excited. I hopped up and was 5 feet behind him, his little legs were getting faster and faster as he was so excited to be outside and I knew he wasn't going to be able to stay up. I saw him go down. His forehead hit the corner of the cement stop. I finally got to him and and picked him up and his head was spurting blood. I started crying and Robbie came out and took him and I ran inside to get a rag to put pressure on it. Robbie said he couldn't see where the hole ended. Alex was screaming. This was so not good. Jared started crying, and was worried about Alex. When we told him he was going to be ok, then he started crying because he wanted to go fly his kite. So, it was bad enough that we needed to have it looked it, but I didn't know if we should have a plastic surgeon sew it up or not. We had to take Jared to the ER three weeks before this because he woke up just before midnight, barely able to breathe because he had a severe case of the croup. He had gone to bed perfectly healthy. It is frustrating, because I knew what he had and all he needed was some steroids, but since it is after hours it ended up costing us $150, what would have cost us $15 if he would have gotten sick during the day. We were like we can't afford to go to the ER twice in one month. So I call my dad, no answer, my mom, no answer, my aunt (whose kids have had a few visits to the ER), no answer. We got a hold of Robbie's mom and she thought we would be ok to just go to urgent care. My dad called me when I was on the phone with her and he said since it was less than a cm in length they would just glue it, since he is so young. So we took him to urgent care, and by the time we got there he had stopped crying and when we walked in there was a big train set and all he wanted to do was play with that. Surprisingly, the bleeding had almost stopped. And can you believe that before we are seen we have to spend 10 minutes filling out paperwork? I just feel like it is so ridiculous that I have to call around and figure out where we can afford to get care for our son? Healthcare is just really screwed up and very frustrating. Anyways, they were thinking they would put 2 stitches in, but I asked about the glue, since my Dad said that is what they usually do, and the doctor was able to do that since it was straight and had almost stopped bleeding. So they glued it shut and put the tape on it and he was as good as new. We went to the park after that and we all had a good time flying the kite. Aunt Rebecca even came along for the fun.